The Victorian Government’s Multicultural Policy Statement, Victorian. And proud of it. reminds us of how far we have come as a socially cohesive society and the gifts that new communities give us as they come to call Victoria home.
Multiculturalism is good for our economy. Cultural diversity adds $1 billion to the Victorian economy every year through skills, innovation and productivity.
International tourists visiting family and friends here in Victoria add another $1.2 billion a year.
Our multicultural policy builds on the success of our immigrant past and will ensure that Victoria remains Australia’s proudest multicultural success story.
It also reminds us of the tangible benefits of multiculturalism, and that a cohesive society is one that actively works to better understand new and unfamiliar cultures and religions.
Just as the Victorian Values Statement makes clear the rights and responsibilities we each share, the Government also has a role in building a fair and harmonious Victoria. The policy is our commitment to you, and includes a set of initiatives designed to encourage all Victorians to contribute and belong:
- $15 million to assist new arrivals to learn English and find a job.
- $4 million Multicultural Sports Fund, so every Victorian has a chance to be a part of our sporting state.
- An education program to ensure all Victorians are aware of their rights and responsibilities under the law.
- Digital literacy and citizenship initiatives to help young people recognise when they are being manipulated online or confronted with online extremism.
- Right to Debate initiatives to promote civil debate.
- Recruit Smarter to reduce and prevent unconscious bias in the workplace.
Download the Multicultural Policy Statement and the brochure below for more information.